CAIA launched the campaign to boycott Indigo Books and Music Inc. in December 2006 with the demand that its controlling owners, Heather Reisman and Gerry Shwartz, publicly cut all financial ties Heseg – Foundation for Lone Soldiers. Since then the campaign has grown in Toronto and across Canada with Chapters and Indigo stores being boycotted in most major cities.
HESEG – which was founded by Ms. Reisman and Mr. Schwartz – provides scholarships and other support to former “lone soldiers” in the Israeli military – individuals from outside Israel with no family in the country who join the Israeli military and participate in all aspects of its repression of Palestinians. In January 2009 HESEG Representatives handed out $160,000 worth of “thank you” gifts to Israeli soldiers participating in the attacks on Gaza.
There are a number of things you can do to support this campaign:
- Support your local independent bookstore instead of buying gifts from Indigo, Chapters, World’s Biggest Bookstore, Smith Books, Coles, The Book Company or Indigo Spirit.
- Don’t buy Chapters.Indigo gift cards – buy gift cards instead from your local independent bookstore Ask your friends and family to do the same.
- If you are part of a non-profit/charitable organization, don’t use Chapters Indigo gift cards to acknowledge contributions to your organization. Instead send a letter to Indigo telling them why you will not be giving their gift cards this season
- If you know someone in a non-profit/charitable organization send them the “boycott Chapters Indigo gift cards” appeal letter asking them not to give Chapters Indigo gift cards.
- Print the protest letter and mail/fax it to Indigo Books and Music Inc. corporate headquarters (contact information is included in the letter).
- If you’re in Toronto, join the weekly picket organised by NION Not In Our Name Jewish voices opposing Zionism every Friday @ 5pm in front of the Indigo store at Bay/Bloor.
- Use our resources which include:
Alternative bookstores factsheet
Toronto Campaign Bookmark (bookmark front / bookmark back)
- Email us at email@example.com with any creative ideas, suggestions or simply to learn more about how you can get involved.